Friday, May 27, 2011

As much fun as a barrel of...sheep

Muito) Boa Tarde!

Well, another P-day has come and is nearing its end. We tried to email before we went out to play, but the power went out everywhere and we were forced to head to Sucupira earlier than we had planned. :) But the power's back, so you get an email this week.

So...water's gone. I'm not sure what day we're on, but I can tell you: a bucket of water does not get you or your hair very clean. Thank goodness for body spray. We received two enormous barrels which we were able to fill with water before we ran out. I was quite excited to see that the barrels were labeled as 'Sheep Casings.'

Hmm...I feel like Charlotte and Randers could tell me a bit about putting livestock into large containers.

But beside our sheep water, things are great. Our time with four sisters in one house is running out (we get the inside scoop about transfers since we make the flights for all the missionaries traveling between islands). You'll be surprised to hear that Sister Laimana and I will be staying together for another one in the office. :)

I actually love the office. We have fun and the Elders are really good with teaching us how to deal with situations and also teaching us KRIOULU! Today, we/the Elders found a Bible in Krioulu! It's actually only Luke and Acts, but it's awesome! I can't wait to show it to y'all. It's a little bit ridiculous, but I think it'll be great language study.

We actually taught an entire lesson in Krioulu the other day (not well). We taught an older woman who never went to school and didn't understand any Portuguese. So we taught her the best we could in Krioulu. It was super hard. And it was strange because usually you're teaching in Portuguese and you have English words/phrases come to your mind. During that lesson, we were teaching in Krioulu with Portuguese words and phrases coming to my mind! It was crazy. But it was a lot of fun.

Titinho is getting baptized tomorrow!! I think this has definitely been one of the best experiences of my mission. Did I tell you how we found him? Sister Turnbow and I returned for an appointment with a lady who wasn't home. There were two boys who were sitting on her porch and we asked them if they lived there. They said no, but we asked if we could teach them anyway. They said sure, we taught them, we returned and kept teaching them and now Titinho is ready to be baptized! He's 17 and when he asked his mom to sign the Ficha, we got a little bit nervous because everyone's so Catholic, but she just told us that if he wanted to be baptized she'd sign it. And then she told his little brother he should get baptized too.

I think that's a great idea.

We hope his family will come tomorrow to see him baptize. They're really cool. Titinho really was prepared long before we ever met him. He's so great.

So this week I got to go on splits! We had a training with the newly called branch missionaries and we taught them how to teach a couple lessons and then they came out with us for a few hours to teach our investigators. Sheila and I taught two great lessons. She's so amazing. She's a recent convert in our area that I know pretty well and she's really great. She goes to seminary every single week and she probably has more scriptures memorized than I do. It was an amazing experience. It was a little scary since I still feel like a new missionary and I was out there playing trainer, but she's incredible. When we got back to the church each of the branch missionaries bore their testimonies. Just remembering it brings the Spirit very strongly. One young man got up there and said something like, 'The world doesn't have long to wait: here's one more missionary ready to come out and teach the gospel.' What an amazing thing to feel the joy of the gospel and be able to share it!

I love this place. I never want to leave. But one day I will - when they transfer me out of Praia :) Gosh. I love you all! Be safe and well and HAPPY! Woohoo.

Love,
Sister Emma (as Elder Adams was calling me while we were playing ping pong. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment